Tuesday, September 24, 2013

DIY: IKEA Bedside Table

So this might be our biggest DIY project yet...


I have been looking for a set of bedside tables for quite sometime. I have done an exhaustive search for tables that meet the following criteria: storage, at least 24 inches wide, silver accents and wood. Well, the only thing I kept coming back to were the Rast dressers at IKEA. I had never done a DIY furniture piece, so I was a bit hesitant. However, I was coming back from a friends wedding in North Carolina and needed an excuse to get out of the car...so I decided to bite the bullet, stop at IKEA and give this whole DIY furniture thing a try. I am glad I did!

Here is what you will need:
Rast 3 Drawer Chest
Fine Sand Paper or Sand blocks
Rust-Oleum
Face Mask (protect yourself from fumes and dust)
Cardboard (to protect surfaces from spray paint)
Decorative Drawer Knobs

What you need!

Step One: I chose to only spray paint the visible pieces...it actually ended up being a cleaner look. The three front drawer panels, two exterior side panels, top panel and bottom inset panel were the only pieces that needed to be spray painted.

Step One
Step Two: After I spray painted the panels and they had completely dried (about 2-3 hours), I sanded them using the fine sandpaper. I wiped down the sanded pieces with a damp rag.

Step Three: Next, I decided to assemble the dresser to make sure I had spray painted all of the exposed areas. Assembling the furniture prior to its final coat of paint makes it look more cohesive too!

Step Three
Step Four: Take out the drawers and spray paint each one, then spray paint the exterior of the dresser (you can use some painters tape for cleaner lines, but I didn't think it was necessary).

Step Four
Step Five: Choose the knobs for the drawers and attach them to the drawers...this was my favorite part.

Step Five
Step Six: Finished! Style your bedside table with decor from Open Door Shop!

Finished Product
Horn Tray, Carafe and Calligraphy Brush
Well...what do you think? What should our next DIY project be? We are open to ideas!

Best,
Marion + Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment